If you insist, I can’t be responsible in case of trouble.
Is that all right with you?
I will check the inventory and my network.
Please wait for a while.
Also, I would like to know the model number to make sure.
Could you give me the information>
Also, I need to know your desired price.
In that case if there is trouble there is nothing I can assist you with.
Is that acceptable?
I will check with my stock on my network.
Please wait a short time.
Also, as to not have any mistakes, could you please provide me with your model number?
Additionally, please indicate your required price.
If you still insist, please make sure that it can't work during a trouble.
Let me confirm that through our inventory and my network, so give me some time.
Also it will be better if you have a model number to avoid a mistake.
If you don't mind, please tell me about it.
Then how much is the list price?
If you still want a report change, we cannot cope with when trouble occurs.
Would that be all right?
Let me check the inventory with my network.
Please give me a little time.
Also, I want to know the model number in order to prevent mistakes.
Could you please tell me?
Also, how much is the asking price?